Thursday, November 24, 2011

RIP, Wawa.

I got a phone call from my Tita earlier, inviting me for dinner. I didn't know why, so I asked her if there was an event or something, aside from Thanksgiving, that is. She asked me if my mom talked to me already, and I told her she didn't. So, she handed the phone to my Tito and he told me that my grandma has gone ahead just this afternoon. I didn't know what to feel, though. And I still don't know what I'm feeling right now.

A beautiful portrait of Wawa when she was young

I remember she gave me the diary of Anne Frank for my 8th birthday. I remember the exact moment when she handed me that book. We were outside her room, by the doorstep, and she gave it to me with a smile that stretched from ear to ear. I didn't appreciate it yet back then, because I was young and wasn't interested in books yet. I only started reading it when I was in fourth grade, I think. And that was when I felt my heart sink in regret, in shame, that I got to appreciate it when she first handed it to me. It's still in my closet at home right now. 

Since then, I've always been interested in WWII. Need I provide proof? Here. In third year, one of our Word History projects was to portray a historical figure. Yup, you guessed it right - I was Annelies Marie Frank. Also, our section's CAE play was The Girl in the Striped Pajamas, which was about WWII as well. I used to post pictures of Anne Frank on Tumblr back when Tumblarity still existed. Oh, and in high school we had these *insertnameofdocumenthere* sheets, almost like a slumbook, and I wrote Anne Frank on one of the blanks next to Interests. 

Although I never got the chance to talk to her for the past few years, I will always remember Wawa for all her stories about World War II, which never failed to tickle my fancy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment